BCDA STATEMENT ON THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE NEW CLARK CITY SPORTS FACILITIES
1. The construction of internationally-certified sports facilities in New Clark City was done in a completely above board and legal manner. The project was based on the advice of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the favorable opinion issued by the Office of the Government Corporate Counsel (OGCC) in October 2018.
2. The ADB advised that a joint venture agreement for the said construction is the most advantageous arrangement for the government. This recommendation was also approved and confirmed by the OGCC.
3. There was no undue advantage accorded to MTD Capital Berhad as its unsolicited proposal underwent a rigorous negotiation process and a Competitive Challenge. The joint venture agreement between BCDA and MTD passed the scrutiny of applicable Philippine laws, rules and regulations.
4. The New Clark City sports facilities were built in record-time and were the country’s first modern sports facilities constructed since the 1930s. Its world-class quality brought great pride and honor not only to our national athletes but to the entire Filipino community who witnessed the historic hosting of the 30th South East Asian Games.
5. We thank Senate President Vicente “Tito” Sotto III and Senator Pia Cayetano for recognizing the importance of the New Clark City sports facilities to our present and future generations of athletes. Both senators emphasized how finally, Filipino athletes now have their own training ground that is of Olympic standards which can further boost their performance in competitions.
6. As a government institution, the BCDA is committed to be at the forefront of delivering sustainable and inclusive projects that our countrymen can truly be proud of.